How To Make A Rolling Pin | Woodturning Project

Originally published at: https://knowledge.axminster.co.uk/woodturning-rolling-pin/

Making a rolling pin is a perfect woodturning project for those starting out in woodturning. Not only does it give you an opportunity to put the skew chisel into practise, you’ll create a beautiful, bespoke tool for your kitchen. Watch Colwin and follow our simple steps below to learn how to create an essential kitchen…

The lathe in my shed is very little used as I have an aversion to the rounded-leg style and similar. But it seems a shame that this fine tool and it’s sub-tools (the various supports, chisels and mysterious gubbins I no longer recognise but must have once bought) should lie neglected and unloved, as the tablesaw or planer-thicknesser get as much action as they like.

So I saw this post and wondered if I should break the long-standing rule of KeepOot that applies to my shed, even to the radical step of allowing the ladywife in there along with encouraging remarks concerning the making of rolling pins as taught by Axminster. After all, unlike 99.999% of modern womenfolk, she does actually do proper cooking, which involves nearly as many esoteric toolen as does woodworking.

There are many risks, though. She might take a fancy to the tablesaw. (It’s mine, all mine)! She might make not only rolling pins (proto-truncheons) but also dedicated husband-beaters. She might discover the secret tools for which there is no accountant’s-permission docket.

Also, she might insist that, reciprocally, I learn how to knit my own pullover, which would break my thumbs and perhaps strangle me as I try to get it on, due to an improperly knitted neck 'ole.

Look on the bright side though. If you were to allow 'er indoors to use the spiny object to make said rolling pin, there’s a better than even chance that a) you’ll get battered with it b) you’ll get something nice for tea or c) she’ll use a pair of them to knit you a new jumper :joy: