Dado blades on a table saw

I have read a long thread about using a dado blade on a table saw. For the narrower dado why can’t we use two standard blades stacked together?

If your saw is rated to take a dado stack (long enough spindle + capable of handling the larger spinning mass, including meeting spin down times if you’re in a commercial environment) then I guess the answer is “you probably could”. However, you’d very much be on your own in terms of whether the geometry of the teeth would be suitable (or safe) for the application.

It’ll probably work, but I’d be nervous trying it, and certainly for a thinner dado you’d likely be much better off using a router table. Where the dado stacks shine (IMHO) is when you’re needing to route large quantities of wide (e.g. 3/4") dadoes; whereby a table saw will do the job quicker than a router.

Thanks Gordon. Does anyone make “fat blades”, such as a blade that is a quarter inch thick?

I’ve seen a few wide kerf slotting blades, but they’re usually quite a small diameter (<4").

There is this (https://www.infinitytools.com/8-flat-top-blades) but it’s quite expensive, and has a 5/8" arbor, so won’t be suitable for “modern” machines with a 30mm arbor. For 1/4" wide cuts I’d still use a router table though!

You could run the piece through the table saw twice, making the necessary adjustment to your fence to prove the wider (1/4”) cut, but obviously this it a more laborious process, but probably safer than trying to use two blades at the same time…I think the thing to remember is that a table saw could do you serious harm…so taking chances with it’s operation and your safety is a rather stupid thing to do…be safe…

I imagine tbat two blades pushed together woulddamage the carbide tip as they would grind and graunch over each other. That in itself I imagine would be dangerous as bits of carbide might fly off like bullets

Would one of these work? I have used various diameters on my angle grinder and there are certainly a number of blade widths available.

I’ve experience of those so can’t comment. But I imagine that chain design restricts them to smaller diameter blades rather than the standard 10" table saw blade.

buying-guides-icon clock first-look-icon googleplus how-tos-icon insights-icon instagram meet-icon tag whats-on-icon